This article joins an increasing body of scientific evidence which suggests that TNF-alpha interactions with glutamate pathways may be involved in the pathogenesis of Alzheimer disease (see Zou et al., 2005 and additional references below).
TNF-amyloid interactions and other known pleotropic actions of TNF-alpha may also be involved in the pathogenesis of AD (see Rosenberg, 2005 and Tobinick et al., 2006).
1. Zou JY, Crews FT. TNF alpha potentiates glutamate neurotoxicity by inhibiting glutamate uptake in organotypic brain slice cultures: neuroprotection by NF kappa B inhibition.
Brain Res. 2005 Feb 9;1034(1-2):11-24.
2. Taylor DL, Jones F, Kubota ES, Pocock JM. Stimulation of microglial metabotropic glutamate receptor mGlu2 triggers tumor necrosis factor alpha-induced neurotoxicity in concert with microglial-derived Fas ligand.
J Neurosci. 2005 Mar 16;25(11):2952-64.
3. Pickering M, Cumiskey D, O'Connor JJ. Actions of TNF-alpha on glutamatergic synaptic transmission in the central nervous system.
Exp Physiol. 2005 Sep;90(5):663-70. Epub 2005 Jun 8. Review.
4. Ogoshi F, Yin HZ, Kuppumbatti Y, Song B, Amindari S, Weiss JH. Tumor necrosis-factor-alpha (TNF-alpha) induces rapid insertion of Ca2+-permeable alpha-amino-3-hydroxyl-5-methyl-4-isoxazole-propionate (AMPA)/kainate (Ca-A/K) channels in a subset of hippocampal pyramidal neurons.
Exp Neurol. 2005 Jun;193(2):384-93.
5. De A, Krueger JM, Simasko SM. Glutamate induces the expression and release of tumor necrosis factor-alpha in cultured hypothalamic cells.
Brain Res. 2005 Aug 16;1053(1-2):54-61.
6. Floden AM, Li S, Combs CK. Beta-amyloid-stimulated microglia induce neuron death via synergistic stimulation of tumor necrosis factor alpha and NMDA receptors.
J Neurosci. 2005 Mar 9;25(10):2566-75.
7. Leonoudakis D, Braithwaite SP, Beattie MS, Beattie EC. TNFalpha-induced AMPA-receptor trafficking in CNS neurons; relevance to excitotoxicity?
Neuron Glia Biol. 2004 Aug;1(3):263-273.
8. Rosenberg PB. Clinical aspects of inflammation in Alzheimer's disease.
Int Rev Psychiatry. 2005 Dec;17(6):503-14. Review.
View all comments by E T