|Advanced Degrees:||MB BS MPH|
|Affiliation:||Neuroscience Research Australia|
|Street Address 1:||Barker Street|
|Street Address 2:||Randwick|
|Phone:||+61 2 9399 1101|
|Fax:||+61 2 9399 1022|
|Email Address: |
Member reports no financial or other potential conflicts of interest. [Last Modified: 24 May 2012]
View all comments by William Brooks
Aging Process, Parkinson Disease, Alzheimer Disease, Tauopathies
Neuropathology, Clinical trials, Diagnosis, Genetics, Epidemiology, A-beta PP/A-beta
Medical graduate working in dementia research since 1988. Main area of work is familial dementia, including recruitment of pedigrees, clinical documentation, arranging DNA collection and autopsy consent, liaison with colleagues in genetics (Peter R. Schofield, John B.J. Kwok)and neuropathology (Sydney Brain Bank, Glenda Halliday, Jillian Kril) research labs. Since 2009 I have been working for the Sydney site of DIAN (Dominantly Inherited Alzheimer Network, CIs John C. Morris, Randall J. Bateman).
1. Brooks WS, Kwok JBJ, Kril JJ, Broe GA,Blumbergs PC, Tannenberg AE, Lamont PJ,
Hedges P, Schofield PR. Alzheimer’s disease with spastic paraparesis and “cotton wool” plaques: two pedigrees with PS-1 exon 9 deletions.
Brain 2003; 126:783-791.
2. Stanford PM, Shepherd CE, Halliday GM, Brooks WS, Schofield PW, Brodaty H,Martins RN, Kwok JBJ, Schofield PR. Mutations in the tau gene that cause an increase in three repeat tau and frontotemporal dementia.
Brain 2003; 126:814-826.
3. Kwok JBJ, Halliday GM, Brooks WS, Dolios G, Laudon H, Murayama O, Hallupp M, Badenhop RF, Vickers J, Wang R, Naslund J, Takashima A, Gandy SE, Schofield PR. Presenilin-1 missense mutation (Leu271Val) results in altered exon 8 splicing and Alzheimer’s disease with non-cored plaques and no neuritic dystrophy.
J Biol Chem 2003; 278(9):6748-6754.
4. Smith MJ, Kwok JB, McLean CA, Kril JJ, Broe GA, Nicholson GA, Cappai R, Hallupp M, Cotton RG, Masters CL, Schofield PR, Brooks WS.
Variable phenotype of Alzheimer's disease with spastic paraparesis.
Ann Neurol. 2001 Jan;49(1):125-9.
PMID: 11198283 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
5. Stanford PM, Halliday GM, Brooks WS, Kwok JB, Storey CE, Creasey H, Morris JG, Fulham MJ, Schofield PR.
Progressive supranuclear palsy pathology caused by a novel silent mutation in exon 10 of the tau gene: expansion of the disease phenotype caused by tau gene mutations.
Brain. 2000 May;123 ( Pt 5):880-93.
PMID: 10775534 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
6. : Taddei K, Kwok JB, Kril JJ, Halliday GM, Creasey H, Hallupp M, Fisher C, Brooks WS, Chung C, Andrews C, Masters CL, Schofield PR, Martins RN.
Two novel presenilin-1 mutations (Ser169Leu and Pro436Gln) associated with very early onset Alzheimer's disease.
Neuroreport. 1998 Oct 5;9(14):3335-9.
PMID: 9831473 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
7. : Kwok JB, Taddei K, Hallupp M, Fisher C, Brooks WS, Broe GA, Hardy J, Fulham MJ, Nicholson GA, Stell R, St George Hyslop PH, Fraser PE, Kakulas B, Clarnette R, Relkin N, Gandy SE, Schofield PR, Martins RN.
Two novel (M233T and R278T) presenilin-1 mutations in early-onset Alzheimer's disease pedigrees and preliminary evidence for association of presenilin-1 mutations with a novel phenotype.
Neuroreport. 1997 Apr 14;8(6):1537-42.
PMID: 9172170 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
8. Brooks WS, Martins RN, De Voecht J, Nicholson GA, Schofield PR, Kwok JB, Fisher C, Yeung LU, Van Broeckhoven C.
A mutation in codon 717 of the amyloid precursor protein gene in an Australian family with Alzheimer's disease.
Neurosci Lett. 1995 Oct 27;199(3):183-6.
PMID: 8577393 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
9. Maltby N, Broe GA, Creasey H, Jorm AF, Christensen H, Brooks WS.
Efficacy of tacrine and lecithin in mild to moderate Alzheimer's disease: double blind trial.
BMJ. 1994 Apr 2;308(6933):879-83.
PMID: 8173365 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
10. : Martins RN, Clarnette R, Fisher C, Broe GA, Brooks WS, Montgomery P, Gandy SE.
ApoE genotypes in Australia: roles in early and late onset Alzheimer's disease and Down's syndrome.
Neuroreport. 1995 Jul 31;6(11):1513-6.
PMID: 7579137 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]